Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My position on stem cell research

I generally try to stay out of these controversial topics and this will be my one and only post on this topic. However, I can no longer remain silent. You may disagree with me (and I know many of my friends on here that do) and that is fine but I need to let my voice be heard.

I will not accept any treatment obtained through embryonic stem cell research. Here is where I stand on the whole issue:

IVF is a miracle for those who need it. Do I think an infinite number of embryos should be created to have on "standby"? No. I believe as few as possible should be "made". If there are any "leftovers" that are not to be used by the biological parents, I believe they should be put up for adoption just like any other "unwanted" child. There are plenty of people who are unable to have children "created" from their own eggs or sperm. I believe this should be understood before any procedures are begun. If this is unacceptable, IVF should be removed from consideration. Only a minimal amount should be implanted. Should "too many" be viable, that is a risk that is part of the situation. We all take risks when we plan for a family (or engage in sexual relations outside of a loving marriage). No one knows if they will have a full term pregnancy or if the child will have problems as a child or as an adult. (my parents surely did not know I would have Young Onset Parkinson's Disease)

Do awful things happen? Yes, absolutely. Are children conceived through rape or incest? Unfortunately, yes. Should those innocent children be murdered because of someone else's crime? Absolutely no.

Do I believe in stem cell research? Yes - adult stem cells and umbilical stem cells are showing great promise. But I believe these "embryonic cells" are life and should not be destroyed for mine or anyone else's benefit. And no they should not be "thrown down the drain" either. And yes I am outraged that this does happen. There is no excuse for that. Before we "play God" ALL the consequences should be considered. Do I have all the answers to all the questions? No, but I do know life is life is life and in my mind there is no other way around it.



Like I said, this is my one and only post on this topic. You are free to disagree with me - that is your right, but I will do all I can to prevent the murder of innocent life. (And yes I do believe all those embryos are "life")

for more information, please see www.stemcellresearch.org

Please see their links to organizations that do research on stem cells without using human embryos.
www.jp2sri.org (general stem cell research)
www.hartmanfoundation.org (parkinson's specific research)

(Any negative or inflammatory comments will be immediately deleted. There are plenty of other places for you to share your opinion. This is just mine.)

No comments: